Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Julius Caesar


6 September 2012

Today I saw Julius Caesar with my Intro-to-Shakespeare class. Many of you know, this was the second time I saw it. Originally when I saw it with my mother, I believe we both hated it. However, I might say that that was due to some unfortunate extenuating circumstances. After being lead around on a wild goose chase, my mother and I finally found the Noel Coward theatre which was right around the corner from when we originally began asking for directions... Needless to say, after a 30 minute scavenger hunt we were 5 minutes late and were forced to watch a T.V. monitor in a Bar on the 2 floor until about the second act. Trying to play catch up to an adaptation of a play that I never read was more difficult than coming in to a complex movie more than 2/3rds of the way through. In addition, we were both jet-leg so I "checked my eyes for pin holes" as my Grandfather would say. 

Last week, we were able to make it early/on time. I definitely had a different take on the play. While everyone in the class raved about the play and said it to be their favorite, I thought it was good not necessarily great. I would not say I am biased against Shakespeare,  but I can say that I certainly have a preference for the more modern plays. 

My recommendations to anyone coming to London... Be on time (EARLY) and you will have a better experience. You never know when you will be delayed due to weather conditions or even "man under train," which is what they call a suicide in the underground... Oh also, the seats make a difference! Get the tickets as soon as possible, the earlier the better seats. Originally I was not impressed by the theatre because we were in the back with some seats smaller than coach seats on an airplane... 



Me & Teddy (Photo Cred: Lorraine Blatt)
Noel Coward Theatre/Julius Caesar Set

1 comment:

  1. I didn't hate the play however, I agree I would have appreciated it much more had we not been on a wild goose chase the night we attended the performance. I actually like Shakespear. Love you Man! Mommie

    ReplyDelete