Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Favorite Play Yet!



This monday I went to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Like the title and the cover of the program, it resolves around the curious death of Dog. It is a fusion of a first and third person narrative centering around the story of fifteen year old boy. His mannerism closely resembles that of an autistic boy, however it is never disclosed what condition he has or does not have. Never the less, when he stumbles upon the dead dog and is accused of it's death, he is determined to resolve the matters. From this one incident and his curiosity he stumbles upon many other incidences. The play was performed in a black box theatre in the round, similar to the Flanigan Theatre in Grinnell. However, I would have to guess that the National Theatre's budget is much greater than that of the Grinnell theatre's department budget. The stage was equipped with "the works" lights, sounds, projectors. Even my theatre flat-mates could not begin to describe all the special effects used in this play. There was an entire technical team that ensured everything ran smoothly. Needless to say, I was rather surprised when I walked into the black box theatre as I thought it would be just like Grinnell... nothing special with maybe a larger audience. This was definitely my favorite play so far. While it was a dramatic play where many people in the audience teared up at many points, there were also some hilarious moments so funny that people laughed uncontrollably for a while. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has an opportunity to see it. Shout out to Papa, you would have loved it. One of the special effects were trains. These model trains, similar to yours were everywhere in the theatre. Around us, in front of us, on the stage... Definitely caught me by surprise....


The set


Teddy & Luke Treadaway (The leading actor)

Me & Luke Treadaway

No comments:

Post a Comment